Why Indian Architects Need More Opportunities to Build at Home
A professional in any field needs a diving board to launch his or her career. Something with enough elasticity to give momentum to the initial flight, sustain the trajectory and then possibly soar. And catch is unfortunately more often that not the architects from abroad bag bigger and better opportunities to design major projects in India. There is a greater premium on International recognition, where as a local architect can reach that level only if given enough opportunities. So why architects need more opportunity to build and design local projects.
Opportunities to build at home is one such launch pad in the world of architecture and interior design. All architects fresh out of their alma maters, armed with the degrees and certificates, dream of making it big. Being known amongst the game changers of the field. Have people stop and stare at a building admiringly and recognise the name behind its form and shape and substance. But getting that kind of world-wide recognition is a process. A process that can start from home. The city, the town that the architect is in. There are numerous reasons on how setting up a solid foundation can help boost an architect’s career and why it is easier and a more viable option to start from home. Let us understand these taking Hyderabad, the Think Studio home base as an example, where Think Studios has established its name as a leading architecture and interior design firm. Think Studios has been delivering consistently competent results in Architecture and Interior designs, and have earned the name of being one of the best architecture and interior design firms in Hyderabad.
Here are some things that work in the favour of Think Studios when It comes to working as a Hyderabad based architecture and interior design firm:
- Familiarity with the local flavour. As a locally based architecture and design firm, Think Studios has a deeper understanding of local trends and settings. We understand what the local community looks for while hiring an architect or designer. And we try to deliver a good amalgamation to traditional living and cultural expectations with right amount modern design using appropriate technology and design. This is something which a local architect will be able to do much better.
- Knowledge of local building and construction codes. Each area, geographical location has some rules and regulations that are specific to that area alone and need to be adhered to. An architect based locally will have a greater understanding of the codes particular to that area, for example the GHMC, and ensure that the same are followed thoroughly.
- Awareness of local materials. An arhictect based in the area be competent in their knowledge and know-how of materials specific to that region for example the Tandur stone which comes from the Telangana region.
- Cost-effectiveness and ease of bringing in local talent. – A locally based architect and interior designer will be in contact with the artisans, weavers in that area and develop a mutually beneficial professional relationship. There will also be a greater understanding of local construction methods as well will be instrumental in bringing down construction costs.
Working locally is benefical for the architects and designers as well as they gain:
- Experience of working for different budgets in the same city which can be challenging and a great learning experience.
- Expertise in using same local materials efficiently for different kinds and magnitudes of structures – mansions, offices, small homes.
- A solid word-of-mouth reputation and opportunities to get more projects and develop client trust and references.
- Opportunity to make a difference in the community.
Success is never an overnight job, and neither does it follow some Step1-Step2-Step3 algorithm. The only 2 things that can give a real push to the architect’s career is original, great designs and expansive experience and what better place to start than the home (base).